What is a play group?
A play group is a group specially designed for families with children aged 0 to 5 years.
According to a variable schedule, parents accompany their children to participate in activities and play in French, in an informal and warm setting. This is all thanks to a partnership between Collège Mathieu and the Association des parents fransaskois. The APF offers play groups in different environments in collaboration with community associations and local educational centers.
We provide play groups in locations that do not have a support centre for families and children (CAFE). These include:
Zenon Park, Debden, North Battleford, Bellevue, Vonda, Moose Jaw, Gravelbourg and Ponteix.
Play group goals are as follows:
- Promote the child’s development on the physical, cognitive, social, emotional and language levels;
- Foster new friendships for adults and children alike;
- Promote healthy eating, physical activity, literacy and creativity;
- Foster the linguistic construction of cultural identity;
- Inform about the French-speaking resources available in the community;
- Parents strengthen their parental skills and develop parent-child relationships by playing and socializing in French;
- Family fun in French!
Your interests, ideas and suggestions are at the heart of programming for play groups – let the session leader know! To find out more or to request a play group in your community, contact our programming assistant at 306-653-7446